Sunday, February 11, 2024

1 Peter 2:18-21

Summary: Peter continues to give practical examples of how experiencing God should change us. In this case, he's mentioning, umm, "household servants" and how they can show that change by submitting to the household they work for whether they are kind or not. 

Response: There's a lot of minefield in this short passage! A lot of people have done terrible things with this as their cudgel! I'm probably closer to the oppressor than the oppressed here, and that sucks!

But. We've seen this before in other scripture, heading all the way back to Job. The writers acknowledge that, yeah, the world isn't perfect. We don't get to wait to have perfect conditions in order to start the change to bring heaven to earth. We have to start where we are. 

So I guess it's okay that I'm starting again on this, on a busy Sunday in the middle of a book I haven't touched since August, on a device that has been very effective at keeping me zoned out for the better part of the school year. Lord, meet me where I am. I think I'm finally ready to listen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment