Monday, August 21, 2023

1 Peter 2:14-17

Summary: Peter continues with guidelines, this time about relationships: honor everybody. Your family of believers, strangers, and especially the authorities. 

Response: "Except when the other team is in office, right?" Nope. "I'll respect the office, but not the holder..." Nuh-uh. "If the law is unjust..." You can tell this is weighing on me. This is not easy!

Of course you're entitled to your own political opinion, and of course it matters who is in office. Our society is quick to attach ideas to people, for people to attach ideas to themselves, and for nasty fights to break out as a result. 

If I am really changed by a God who did all the stuff we just mentioned in the first chapter and a half, that should not be my story. We should be able to identify the needs of the least in our society and shamelessly give of ourselves to them. 

I am very imperfect at this. I have strong opinions and love watching a debate like it was a boxing match. I am so busy trying to give my own children a good life that I leave almost no time to change the world around me. And that may be over-selling it, but I can't in a clear conscience say that I've got all this in the bag. Before I'd accuse anyone else with these verses (which is what my brain wanted to do first!), I need God to work on me first. 

Lord, keep slowing me down. Pull me out of the white noise of my phone. Help me to see not only the needs of my young family in front of me, but the students and colleagues I'm about to see each day. Give me the strength and grace and words to follow through on what You call me to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment