Monday, September 13, 2021

RG: "A Generation of Murder"

Summary: Teanna Sunberg ponders Genesis 4, where the hatred that drove Cain to kill Abel was fermenting long before they gave their offerings. She wonders aloud at all that is missing from the story, and finishes by resting in a bit of hope at the end of the chapter, that people turn to God again. 

Response: I feel like Teanna's essay is more like my reflections than the others in the devotional book: there is less of a central point and more of a desire to show authentic reaction and try to "eat the whole hog," as it were. 

Stepping back a bit, this feels a bit like a true crime show. My wife loves them, and I can't stand how much she watches them. I don't want to be surrounded by that level of death and morbidity all day long. But in this instance, I think I can see this story (and her shows) as a bit of a morality play: how close am I to snapping like Cain did? Remember, self, that you are capable of that, and guard your heart in the Lord, that you never turn out that way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment