Thursday, February 18, 2021

Job 3:11-19

Summary: Job, continuing his wish to not be where he is, wishes aloud he were stillborn. In death, he thinks, is rest and peace away from life, which he sees only as torment. 

Response: "There was going to be a 'but'..."
"You're a butt!"

Years ago I looked at Psalms this way. I hated the ones about warfare. But I was taught of a kind of beauty in the way David is so very honest with God, that no emotion was too strong. I have to remind myself of that here. Job does not want to do subtlety and subtext. The man hurts! He did everything right and lost everything and everyone and now even his body is rebelling against him. It is reasonable to look at all of that as a torture, as a big practical joke played on poor Job! That's natural! Lord, if nothing else, help me to explore and show my true feelings to You. You know it all anyway; no sense in hiding it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment