Wednesday, March 27, 2019

John 14

Summary: Jesus has His last talk with His disciples. He tells them He is leaving, which they should be happy about since it's God's will, they'll get the Holy Spirit, and Jesus is coming back anyway. He tells them to obey His teachings, which come from God, and that they will get help from the Holy Spirit in remembering and carrying them out. The disciples, for their part, are freaking out and asking panicked questions. Eventually, Jesus decides it is time to go to His destiny, and gets up.

Response: Jesus is still hammering home who He is to His disciples, though they'd prefer that He would somehow broadcast that to the world. He is talking double about both His short-term resurrection and a long-term second coming, at least from what theologians can figure out.

Yeah, I'm that good at panicking, and at asking all the wrong questions. Although I will say my thoughts on the second coming are somewhere between laissez faire and blase; like, it's going to happen and I'll be there, but I can't control or predict it and there's work to do in the meantime. Still, I pray today for a level head in planning for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment