Thursday, January 5, 2017

Acts 12

Summary: King Herod (he the grandson of "kill the babies" King Herod in the gospel) kills James and imprisons Peter. Peter, in the dead of night, escapes with help of an angel. While the church rejoices, Herod dies.

Response: I mean, I get that Herod was killing Christians, but it still feels wrong to me to rejoice in someone's death the way the author's tone feels to me. That said, the middle section, where Peter can't get the servant girl to open the door for him, reads like a sitcom script, and in a good way. I guess, at the end of the day, these are humans and flawed and that's okay because I am both of those, too, and if they can be flawed and still have God work in and through them, then there's still hope for me, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment