Tuesday, August 19, 2014

1 Corinthians 7

Summary:  Paul talks of marriage, that since he feels time is so short (before Jesus' return/rapture/what have you), that its matters distract from doing the Lord's work.  From God he says not to divorce, but from his own opinion he'd find it better not to marry or re-marry either.

Response:  I'm... not entirely sure I agree with Paul.  I think the circumstances are a part of his opinion, namely that time is short.  He views marriage as a way to sex so you don't find it elsewhere; of course, that's a great part of it, but it's not the only thing.  I enjoy my wife's company, and it's great to do things and have things together we couldn't do alone (including, eventually, children!).  Again, it's possible I'm reading his opinion wrong.  Maybe he's thinking that this is another excuse for people:  yeah, I'll serve, but let me marry or divorce first.  And I know I'm guilty of that procrastination.  Hopefully this new job will give me ways to minister.

No comments:

Post a Comment