Monday, August 18, 2014

1 Corinthians 6

Summary:  Paul digs into the Corinthians.  He is fed up with lawsuits against Christians (that call on a lesser power, the law, to judge God's people) and the sexually immoral (who become one body with prostitutes instead of with Christ).  He calls on Christians to command their body the way a Temple is kept pure.

Response:  There is a difference between being wrecked and being used.  I clean on occasion for my church, and I have to constantly remind myself of this as I vacuum the same floors for the umpteenth time.  It is good that people, even people who don't know how to behave in church, come through the doors.  That is how we all came to be saved.  But what Paul finds is not use, but wreckage by Christians who should know better.  I find it comforting that I'm not the only one who has stumbled, but I know that Paul calls me, too, to keep myself, my body and actions and attitudes, to a high standard.  I don't vacuum because people like clean floors.  The church I visited yesterday didn't lack worshippers on the chancel because they didn't like a particular setup.  We hold parts of our churches sacred to show reverence to our Creator, and Paul calls me to hold my body and mind to that same standard.

No comments:

Post a Comment