Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Daniel 7

Summary: Backing up a bit, we hear a vision and explanation given directly to Daniel during the second king's reign. He sees four beasts, each very odd but large and powerful, take turns ruling and causing destruction. The fourth beast is interrupted by a figure called the Ancient of Days, who instead puts another, the son of man, in charge. Daniel is shown that four empires will rise and fall before God's kingdom will begin.

Response: One, Daniel sees all this, becomes visibly shaken, but then tries to keep the matter to himself. I find it hard to believe he could walk around with a crazy pale face and nobody would call him out on it. I wonder how often I've tried to hide something troubling my spirit with similar results.

Two, yes, I get it, it's Messianic prophecy (that the son of man is the guy who will save everybody, who Christians like me believe is Jesus). But we know from other spots in scripture that this is a very different kingdom. Unlike the empires, who rule with teeth and claws (i.e. their armies and laws), Jesus can be talked to like a person, and rules by becoming a servant.

No comments:

Post a Comment