Monday, December 19, 2016

Acts 5

Summary: After an odd story about a couple who, after lying about giving money to the apostles, drop dead; we have another cycle of the Way growing in number, the apostles arrested, questioned, and released. An angel releases them from the prison, and a member of the interrogators appeals to the rest of them by reason: if this is human, it'll fail, but if it's God, then we can't stop it, so the best course either way is to leave it alone.

Response: Alright, yes, Ananias and Sapphira. God drops two people dead for lying. I mean, I don't know if that was all they'd ever done; it certainly keeps others from doing the same, helps others in the Way true to it, though I'm not a fan of it being through fear. This isn't a huge sticking point between God and me, so I'm moving on.

The angel in the story was pretty cool. That part (like others that are coming) reads like a sitcom script: they're gone! go get them! they're not here either! etc.

Finally, I think it's pretty apparent which direction the Way went, looking super long term. I don't speak about Christianity as a whole very often. There are parts of history where people have bent the faith to their own wills, and many still do. But I still believe most Christians are, can be, are trying to be, the hands and feet of Christ, doing that whole healing and saving the lost thing. Lately, I've missed opportunities to serve the least in my community because I've been so busy. I'm hoping to get ahead in my break and elsewhere to get time back for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment